During the clan's heyday, the chiefs amassed a very large real estate portfolio. These estates included an ancient landholding at Fulwood; estates granted by grateful Kings, including those at Cumbernauld, Kirkintilloch, Wigton and many more; and estates obtained through marriage, including those at Biggar and Oliver Castle.
Estates were lost and regained more than once as the clan chiefs did their best to navigate the treacherous waters of Scottish politics.
Most of the estates of the last clan chief were transferred into the family of Charles 10th Lord Elphinstone through his marriage to the last Fleming heiress, Lady Clementina Fleming. Her great-great grandson (Cornwallis Maude-Fleming) eventually sold the Cumbernauld estate for 160,000 pounds in 1875.
Members can click on the images and underlined hyperlinks below to access detailed information about these clan Fleming estates. Non-members would need to join the society to gain access to this content.
Both the 2nd and 3rd clan chiefs were seated at Fulwood, Renfrewshire.
John 5th Lord Fleming, Governor of Dumbarton Castle, held it as the last stronghold for Mary Queen of Scots during the Marian Civil War (1568-73).